DESIGN DRAWINGS How They are Different and Why They are Better
In architect speak they are called Schematic Design or Preliminary Design drawings.
In plain speak they are the base templates for construction drawings prepared by others. Our Design Drawings consist of Floor Plan(s) and Elevations drawn in CAD (Computer-Aided-Design) software to scale with key dimensions. They are delivered in PDF format and DWG for conversion into AutoCAD and the original Mac based PoweCADD. The construction documents are then completed with the resources of your choice. Design Drawings are easily adapted for CAD development. Which mens that . . . the cost of your Design Drawings will result in a ±15% savings on the cost of Construction Drawings.
● Gives you time to evaluate and refine your selected design without pressure,
● Allows face to face work with your resources.
● Provides freedom and flexibility to modify and customize to your needs and taste.
● Local preparers of Construction Drawings will be familiar with local requirements.
● Facilitates more accurate and detailed early cost estimate.
Reviewing, Evaluating and Selecting a Design
Designs are flexible within certain limits. Plans are easily expanded, keeping ADU area limits firmly in mind. Once converted into CADD changes are easy to make. However, resist the temptation to arbitrarily expand or change plan areas. Bedrooms and bathrooms are intentionally small. If the printed dimensions of a space are a concern check against a known room size. Walk around and see how the space feels. Simple adjustments make a big difference: a smaller bed instead of a large size, shelving built into in a closet instead of a dresser.
Sample Design Drawings: