What they Are
Why They’re a Better Idea
In architect speak they are called Schematic Design or Preliminary Design drawings.
In plain speak they are templates for construction drawings prepared by others. Our Design Drawings consist of Floor Plan(s) and Elevations drawn in CAD (Computer-Aided-Design) software to scale with key dimensions. They are delivered in PDF format and DWG for conversion into AutoCAD. The construction documents are then completed with the resources of your choice. Material selections and construction details are yours to choose. Design Drawings are easily adapted for CAD development. Which mens that . . . the cost of your Design Drawings is a ±15% savings on the cost of Construction Drawings.
● Provides time to evaluate, adapt and refine your selected design without the pressure of major cost.
● Allows freedom and flexibility to modify and customize to your needs and taste. Designs are easy to enlarge. Except for ADU maximums you don’t have to be constrained by the 800 sf limit if that is not your goal.
● Preview the exterior design with the views exported from the 3D model or from any angle or distance with the optional (at extra cost) 3D model file.
● Local preparers of Construction Drawings will be familiar with local requirements.
● Allows a more accurate early cost estimate.
Reviewing, Evaluating and Selecting a Design
Designs are flexible within certain limits. Plans are easily expanded, keeping ADU area limits firmly in mind. Once converted into CADD changes are easy to make. However, resist the temptation to arbitrarily expand or change plan areas. Bedrooms and bathrooms are intentionally small. If the printed dimensions of a space are a concern check against a known room size. Walk around and see how the space feels. Simple adjustments make a big difference: a smaller bed instead of a large size, shelving built into in a closet instead of a dresser.
Sample Design Drawings: